Place:


Gosberton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gosberton like this:

GOSBERTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands near Risegate drain, 2½ miles WNW of Surfleet and Gosberton r. station, and 6 N by W of Spalding; and has a post office‡ under Spalding. The parish includes also the hamlets of Cheal, Rightbolt, Westhorpe, and part of Risegate. ...


Acres, 8, 820. Real property, £19, 826. Pop., 2, 107. Houses, 453. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is cruciform and interesting; includes a chapel of the Blessed Sacrament on the S side of the . chancel; has a tower, with fine groined roof, and a beautiful octagonal spire; contains sedilia, rood stairs, and effigies of a knight and lady; and was recently in disrepair. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists, a school with £28 from endowments, and other charities with £74.—The sub-district includes also Surfleet parish. Acres, 12, 320. Pop., 3, 060. Houses, 662.

Gosberton through time

Gosberton is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gosberton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gosberton, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12326

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gosberton ".