Place:


Urchfont  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Urchfont like this:

URCHFONT, or Erchfont, a parish, with three tythings, in Devizes district, Wilts; 3½ miles SE of Devizes r. station. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 6,873. Real property, £11,876. Pop. in 1851, 1,604; in 1861, 1,459. Houses, 348. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, with Stert chapelry, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £320.* Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church was restored in 1840. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.

Urchfont through time

Urchfont is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Urchfont itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Urchfont, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12130

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Urchfont ".