Place:


Stratton St Margaret  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stratton St Margaret like this:

STRATTON-ST. MARGARET, a village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands near the Great Western railway, 2¾ miles NE of Swindon; and has a post-office under Swindon. The parish includes Upper Stratton tything, contains Highworth workhouse, and comprises 2,620 acres. ...


Real property, £9,980. Pop., 1,642. Houses, 320. The property is much sub-divided. An alien priory cell was founded in 1066; and was given, by Henry VI., to King's College, Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £216.* Patron, Merton College, Oxford. The church is good. There are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and charities £22.

Stratton St Margaret through time

Stratton St Margaret is now part of Swindon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swindon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stratton St Margaret itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stratton St Margaret, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12113

Date accessed: 27th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stratton St Margaret ".