Place:


Shirley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirley like this:

SHIRLEY, a chapelry, with a village and four hamlets, in Milbrook parish, Hants; 1½ mile NE of Milbrook r. station, and 2 NW of Southampton. It has a post-office under Southampton. Pop. in 1861, 4,941. Houses, 962. S.-Common is one of the hamlets, takes its name from a recently enclosed common, and has also a post-office under Southampton. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Winchester. Value £450.* Patron, the Rev. W. Orger. The church was built in 1836. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Shirley through time

Shirley is now part of Southampton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Southampton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shirley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirley, in Southampton and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1209

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shirley ".