Place:


Donington  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Donington like this:

DONINGTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands amid the fens, at the Bridgend-causeway, adjacent to the Hammond-beck and Blacksluice canal, 4½ miles SSW of Swineshead r. station, and 9½ NNW of Spalding; comprises three streets; is a polling place; and has a post office‡ under Spalding, a weekly market on Saturday, and fairs on 26 May, 17 August, 4 Sep., and 17 Oct. ...


The parish includes also the hamlet of Northorpe. Acres, 6, 180. Real property, £15, 489. Pop. 1, 690. Houses, 390. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface was formerly marsh; but has been well drained and cultivated. An ancient urn and some ancient glazed earthen vessels have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £126. Patron, the Rev. J. Wilson. The church is later English and good; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists. A grammar school has £440 from endowment; and other charities £933.—The sub-district contains also Quadring parish. Acres, 10, 390. Pop., 2, 691. Houses, 603.

Donington through time

Donington is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Donington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Donington, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12045

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Donington ".