Place:


Cayton  Yorkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cayton like this:

CAYTON, a township and a parish in Scarborough district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, and on the Scarborough and Hull railway, 4 miles SSE of Scarborough; includes the hamlets of Deepdale and Killerby; and has a station on the railway. Acres, 1,208; of which 68 are water. Pop., 457. ...


Houses, 131. The parish contains also the township of Osgodby; and its Post Town is Seamer under Scarborough. Acres, 2,583,-of which 153 are water. Real property, £5,206. Pop., 534. Houses, 111. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Seamer, in the diocese of York. The church is good; and has an embattled tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Cayton through time

Cayton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cayton, in Scarborough and Yorkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11999

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cayton ".