Place:


Great Coates  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Coates like this:

COATES (Great), a parish in Caistor district, Lincoln; on the Humber, and on the Grimsby and Hull railway, 2½ miles W of Great Grimsby. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ulceby. Acres, 4, 480; of which 1,875 are water. Real property, £4, 259. Pop., 206. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Laceby harriers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £580.* Patron, Sir R. Sutton, Bart. The church has two brasses, and is good.

Great Coates through time

Great Coates is now part of North East Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Coates itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Coates in North East Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11947

Date accessed: 19th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Coates ".