Place:


Great Carlton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Carlton like this:

CARLTON (Great), a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; 2½ miles E of Legbourne r. station, and 6 ESE of Louth. It has a post office, of the name of Carlton, under Louth. Acres, 2,190. Real property, £4,231. Pop., 338. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £509.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £26 a year.

Great Carlton through time

Great Carlton is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Carlton, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11900

Date accessed: 17th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Carlton ".