Place:


Steeple Langford  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steeple Langford like this:

LANGFORD (STEEPLE), a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Wiley, near Wiley r. station, 5½ miles NW of Wilton; and has a post-office under Bath. The parish includes the tything of Hanging-Langford, and comprises 3,941 acres. Real property, with Little Langford, £4,222. ...


Pop., 628. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. Traces of an ancient British camp are on a hill called Yarnborough Castle. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £594.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church is ancient but good; and contains a rich altar-tomb to the Mompessons.

Steeple Langford through time

Steeple Langford is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Steeple Langford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steeple Langford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11866

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Steeple Langford ".