Place:


Saltburn by the Sea  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saltburn By the Sea like this:

SALTBURN, a village in Brotton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, at the terminus of the Stockton and Darlington railway, 5½ miles N E of Guisbrough. It was formerly a small hamlet, but it has acquired importance since the opening of the railway; and it has a head post-office, ‡ designated Saltburn-by-Sea, Yorkshire, a r. ...


station with telegraph, a church, a Wesleyan chapel, and acoast-guard station. The church was built in 1867, at a cost of about £3, 200; consisted then of nave, N aisle, and N transept; was designed to be enlarged with Saisle, S transept, chancel, porch, and vestry, and to have a tower and spire 100 feet high; and is in the early decorated style, more French than English. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1865, and is in the early English style.

Saltburn by the Sea through time

Saltburn By the Sea is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saltburn By the Sea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saltburn by the Sea, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1160

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saltburn By the Sea ".