Place:


Barton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton like this:

BARTON, a township and a parish in Darlington district and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on a tributary of the river Tees, 4½ miles W of Croft r. station, and 5 SW of Darlington; and has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 2,177. Real property, £4,546. Pop., 507. Houses, 117. ...


The parish includes also the township of Newton-Morrel and part of the township of Stapleton. Acres, 2,790. Real property, with the rest of Stapleton, £7,012. Pop., 584. Houses, 132. Limestone occurs. The parish is a meet for the Raby hounds. The living is a double vicarage of Barton-St. Cuthbert and Barton-St. Mary, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £110.* Patrons, the vicar of Stanwick and the vicar of Gilling.

Barton through time

Barton is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11525

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton ".