Place:


Rhymney  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhymney like this:

RHYMNEY, a village and a chapelry in Bedwelty parish, Monmouth. The village stands on the river Rhymney, at the terminus of the Rhymney railway, adjacent to the meeting-point with Breconshire and Glamorgan, 2½ miles W of Tredegar; and has a post-office‡under Tredegar, and a railway station with telegraph. ...


The chapelry was constituted in 1839. Pop. in 1861, 7, 630. Houses, 1, 390. Extensive iron-works are here; and have furnaces in a massive Egyptian form of architecture. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is good.

Rhymney through time

Rhymney is now part of Caerphilly district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caerphilly has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rhymney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhymney, in Caerphilly and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1152

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhymney ".