Place:


Barmby on the Marsh  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barmby on the Marsh like this:

BARMBY-ON-THE-MARSH, a township-chapelry in Howden parish, E. R. Yorkshire; at the confluence of the Derwent and the Ouse, 2 miles SSW of Wressel r. station, and 4½ W of Howden. Post Town, Hemingborough under Howden. Acres, 1,711. Real property, £3,812. Pop., 456. Houses, 103. Some of the inhabitants are sacking-makers. There are two mineral springs, chalybeate and sulphurous. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £30. Patron, the Vicar of Howden. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £106.

Barmby on the Marsh through time

Barmby on the Marsh is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barmby on the Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barmby on the Marsh, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11507

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barmby on the Marsh ".