Place:


Abersychan  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Abersychan like this:

ABERSYCHAN, a village in Trevethin parish, Monmouth; at the influx of the Sychan to the Avon, 2 miles NNW of Pontypool. It has a post office‡ under Ponty pool, and a r. station on the Eastern Valleys Monmouth railway. It is a straggling populous place, connected with the British Iron-works, on the neighbouring hill side. Here is a sub-parochial church, for a pop. of 7,979, served by a vicar, with a salary of £300, appointed by the vicar of Trevethin.

Abersychan through time

Abersychan is now part of Torfaen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torfaen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Abersychan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Abersychan, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1149

Date accessed: 25th June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Abersychan ".