Place:


Woodchester  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodchester like this:

WOODCHESTER, a parish, with a village, in Stroud district, Gloucester; on the Nailsworth railway, 2½ miles SW of Stroud. It has a post-office under Stroud, and a r. station. The parish comprises 1,203 acres. Real property, £3,728. Pop., 816. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. ...


W. Park, W. House, the Priory, Park Hill, Atcombe House , Southfield House, and Chesterhill House are chief residences. Remains of a fine Roman pavement are near the site of the old church. The manufacture of broad-cloths, scarlet and billiard cloths, and pins is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £325.* Patron,Hooper, Esq. The church was rebuilt, on a new site, in 1863. There are Baptist and Roman Catholic chapels, and an endowed school with £125 a year. A Dominican priory, large and handsome, was erected in 1858, and educates candidates for the priesthood. A Franciscan convent, also large and handsome, was erected in 1859, and has about 22 nuns. An orphanage, in connexion with the convent, was established in 1862; and educates, feeds, and clothes 18 children.

Woodchester through time

Woodchester is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodchester itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodchester, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11474

Date accessed: 18th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodchester ".