Place:


Great Witcombe  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Witcombe like this:

WHITCOMBE (Great), a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 5½ miles SSW of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres, 918. Real property, £1,629. Pop., 165. Houses, 37. The manor, with W. House, belongs to Lady Cromie. Roman pavements, baths, coins, and indications of a villa, were found in 1819. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100.* Patron, Lady Cromwell. The church is old.

Great Witcombe through time

Great Witcombe is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Witcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Witcombe, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11472

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Witcombe ".