Place:


Winterbourne  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterbourne like this:

WINTERBOURNE. a village and a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester. The village stands 2 miles E of Patchway r. station, and 6½ NN E of Bristol; and has a post-office under Bristol, and fairs on 29 June and 18 Oct. The parish includes Frenchay and Hambrook tythings, and comprises 3,170 acres. ...


Real property, £10,289; of which £123 are in quarries, and £50 in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 2,876; in 1861, 3,067. Houses, 703. The property is much subdivided. W. manor belongs to Mrs. Wadham; and Sturden Court, to the Smyth family. Garibaldi Lodge, Crossley House , Cedar Hall, Frenchay Lodge, Malmains, Newlands, Begbrook, Cliff Court, Woodfield House, Hambrook House, and Court House are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £845.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford, The church is mainly early English, with pinnacled tower and fine spire; and the chancel was rebuilt in 1843. The rectory of Frenchay and the p. curacy of Winterbourne-Down are separate benefices. There are four dissenting chapels, two national schools, and charities £21.

Winterbourne through time

Winterbourne is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterbourne in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11471

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterbourne ".