Place:


West Ayton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Ayton like this:

AYTON (West), a township in Hutton-Bushell parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on a tributary of the Derwent river, 3½ miles W of Seamer r. station, and 5 WSW of Scarborough. Acres, 2,160. Real property, £2,704. Pop., 385. Houses, 78. Remains exist of an ancient castle which belonged to the Evers or Eures and the Cliffords.

West Ayton through time

West Ayton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Ayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Ayton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11434

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Ayton ".