Place:


Uley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uley like this:

ULEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswold hills, 2 miles ENE of Dursley r. station; and has a post-office under Dursley. The parish comprises 1,492 acres. Real property, £4,160. Pop., 1,230. Houses, 308. Stouts Hill, Angerton-Grange, Uley House, Uley Lodge, Rockstowes House, and Bencombe House, are chief residences. ...


U. Bury was a Roman camp, and has yielded many Roman coins. West hill is crowned by a Roman tumulus. Woollen-cloth manufacture was, at one time, largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is recent. There are Independent and Baptist chapels, a national school, and charities £9.—The sub-district contains four parishes. Acres, 6,147. Pop., 2,471. Houses, 611.

Uley through time

Uley is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11427

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Uley ".