Place:


Tormarton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tormarton like this:

TORMARTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; 4 miles SE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 5 SE by E of Yate r. station. Post town, Chippenham. Acres, 2,645. Real property, £4,125. Pop., 464. Houses, 99. The manor belongs to the Duke of Beaufort. The living is a rectory, united with Acton-Turville and West Littleton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £800.* Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is ancient, and has been beautifully restored. There are a national school, and charities £9.

Tormarton through time

Tormarton is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tormarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tormarton in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11391

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tormarton ".