Place:


Tidenham  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tidenham like this:

TIDENHAM, a parish, with a village and six hamlets, in the district of Chepstow and county of Gloucester; on the peninsula between the Severn and the Wye, 2 miles NNE of Chepstow r. station. It has a post-office under Chepstow. Acres, 9,527; of which 3,310 are water. Real property, £9,345; of which £29 are in quarries, and £52 in fisheries. ...


Pop., 1,661. Houses, 335. The property is subdivided. T. House, Sedbury Park, and Tutshill House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £441.* Patron, D. H. Burr, Esq. The church is early and decorated English. The p. curacy of Beachley is a separate benefice. A new chapel of ease, called St. Luke's, is at Tutshill; and there are a room used as a chapel of ease, a Wesleyan chapel, three national schools, a police station, and charities £22.

Tidenham through time

Tidenham is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tidenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tidenham, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11365

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tidenham ".