Place:


Swindon  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swindon like this:

SWINDON, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Cheltenham r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Cheltenham. Acres, 721. Real property, £2,499. Pop., 227. houses, 43. The manor belongs to H. S. Stratford, Esq. S. Hall is the seat of J. S. Surman, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £479.* Patron, J. S. Surman, Esq. The church is Norman and early English, and was recently restored. There is a national school of 1863.

Swindon through time

Swindon is now part of Cheltenham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cheltenham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swindon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swindon, in Cheltenham and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11348

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swindon ".