Place:


Tenby  Pembrokeshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Tenby like this:

Tenby, parl. and mun. bor., seaport town, and watering-place, Pembrokeshire, on W. side of Carmarthen Bay, 9 miles E. of Pembroke and 276 miles W. of London by rail, 640 ac., pop. 4750; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Wednesday and Saturday. Tenby was one of the Flemish settlements planted in Pembrokeshire in the 12th century, and until the time of Elizabeth was a port of much commercial importance. ...


From that period it declined greatly until the present century, when it came into repute as a resort for bathing. It is now a flourishing watering-place. The trade of the port is not extensive - chiefly fish and oysters. The church is interesting, and some portions of the old walls still remain, but the ruins on Castle Hill are inconsiderable. Tenby is one of the Pembroke Boroughs, which return 1 member to Parliament.

Tenby through time

Tenby is now part of Pembrokeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Pembrokeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tenby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tenby in Pembrokeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1134

Date accessed: 17th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tenby ".