Place:


Stinchcombe  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stinchcombe like this:

STINCHCOMBE, a parish, with a village, in Dursley district, Gloucester; 2 miles WNW of Dursley r. station. It has a post-office under Dursley. Acres, 1,464. Real property, £2,705. Pop., 340. Houses, 77. The manor belongs to the Rev. Sir G. Prevost, Bart. Stancombe Park is the seat of P. B. Purnell, Esq. Stinchcombe Hill commands an extensive view. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £65.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church, excepting tower and spire, was rebuilt in 1855. There are a national school, and charities £25.

Stinchcombe through time

Stinchcombe is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stinchcombe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stinchcombe, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11326

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stinchcombe ".