Place:


Stanway  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanway like this:

STANWAY, a parish, with a village and three hamlets, in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; 8½ miles SW of Campden r. station. It has a post-office under Cheltenham. Acres, 3,390. Real property, £3,528. Pop., 378-Houses, 86. The manor, with S. House, belongs to the Earl of Wemyss. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250.* Patron. the Earl of Wemyss. The church is good; and there are a national school, and charities £24.

Stanway through time

Stanway is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanway, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11322

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanway ".