Place:


Standish  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Standish like this:

STANDISH, a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; 1½ mile SSW of Haresfield r. station, and 4¼ NW of Stroud. It contains Colethrop hamlet, and has a postal letter-box under Stonehouse. Acres, 3,388. Rated property, £6,328. Pop., 525. Houses, 111. The manor belongs to Lord Sherborne. The living is a vicarage, united with Hardwick, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £527.* Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is decorated English and good, with a spire. There are two parochial schools.

Standish through time

Standish is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Standish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Standish, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11311

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Standish ".