Place:


Rhondda  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rhondda like this:

YSTRADYFODWG, two hamlets and a parish in Merthyr-Tydvil district. Glamorgan. The hamlets are Home Y. and Middle Y.; they lie on the river Rhondda, and on the Rhondda Valley railway, 8 miles NW of Pontypridd; and they have a post-office, of the name of Ystrad-Rhondda, under Pontypridd, and a r. ...


station of the name of Ystrad. Real property, £4,888 and £6,818; of which £3,635 and £3,950 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 310 and 247; in 1861, 1,011 and 1,203. Houses, 176 and 226. The increase of pop. arose from extension of coal mining. The parish includes also Rhigos and Clydach hamlets, and comprises 24,515 acres. Pop. in 1851, 1,998; in 1861, 3,857. Houses, 715. Most of the property belongs to the Marquis of Bute. The low ground, along the river, is fine valley; and the flanking hills culminate at an altitude of 1,859 feet. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Llantrisant. There are several dissenting chapels.

Rhondda through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Rhondda go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rhondda, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1131

Date accessed: 21st September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rhondda ".