Place:


Upper Slaughter  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Slaughter like this:

SLAUGHTER (Upper), a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; 1½ mile NNW of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station. Post town, Lower Slaughter, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 1,390. Real property, £2,140. Pop., 241. Houses, 52. The manor belongs to the Rev. E. F. Witts and the Rev. J. Todd. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £158.* Patron, the Rev. E. F. Witts. The church is Norman and early English. There are an endowed school with £11 a year, and charities £61.

Upper Slaughter through time

Upper Slaughter is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Slaughter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Slaughter, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11281

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Slaughter ".