Place:


Sileby  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sileby like this:

SILEBY, a village and a parish in Barrow-upon-Soar district, Leicester. The village stands on the Midland railway, 1½ mile E by N of Mountsorrel; consists chiefly of two streets, crossing each other nearly at right angles; is traversed by the railway on a lofty embankment and viaduct; and has a post-office under Loughborough. ...


The parish comprises 2,190 acres. Real property, £5,914. Pop., 1,572. Houses, 377. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to W. A. Pochin, Esq. The manufacture of hosiery is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £158.* Patron, W. A. Pochin, Esq. The church is decorated English, and has a fine lofty pinnacled tower. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £43.

Sileby through time

Sileby is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sileby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sileby, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11280

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sileby ".