Place:


Sherborne  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherborne like this:

SHERBORNE, a village and a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester. The village stands 5½ miles S by E of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station; gives the title of Baron to the Dutton family; and has a post-office under Cheltenham. The parish comprises 4,560 acres. Real property, £5,796. ...


Pop., 584. Houses, 127. The manor belonged formerly to Winchcomb abbey; and, with S. Park, belongs now to Lord Sherborne. The mansion occupies the site of a seat of the abbots; and was rebuilt, at great cost, in 1831. The living is a vicarage, united with Windrush, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £194.* Patron, Lord Sherborne. The church was rebuilt in 1850, and has a tower and spire. Bradley, the astronomer, was a native.

Sherborne through time

Sherborne is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sherborne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherborne, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11265

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sherborne ".