Place:


East Ayton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Ayton like this:

AYTON (East), a township in Seamer parish, N. R. Yorkshire; near the river Derwent, 1½ mile W of Seamer r. station, and 4 SW of Scarborough. It has a post office under York. Acres, 2,610. Real property, £2,772. Pop., 406. Houses, 78. Ironstone occurs, and is worked. There are a chapel of ease and a Primitive Methodist chapel. The insurrection of 1548 began here.

East Ayton through time

East Ayton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Ayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Ayton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11254

Date accessed: 20th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Ayton ".