Place:


Aston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aston like this:

ASTON-WITH-AUGHTON, a township and a parish in Rotherham district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Rother, 2 miles SSW of Beighton r. station, and 5 E of Rotherham; and has a post office, of the name of Aston, under Rotherham. Real property, £7,105,-of which £2,002 are in mines. ...


Pop., 995. Houses, 195. The parish includes also part of the township of Ulley. Acres, 2,915. Real property, with the rest of Ulley, £8,569. Pop., 1,032. Houses,-203. The property is sub-divided. The manor belonged formerly to the D'Arcys, and belongs now to the Duke of Leeds. A. Hall is the seat of T. Tillotson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £760.* Patron, the Duke of Leeds. The church is ancient, and contains a monument to Lord D'Arcy and his three wives, a splendid screen, and a Norman font. There are Methodist chapels, national schools, and charities £37. The Rev. William Mason, the editor of Gray's poems and the author of "Isis" and other poems of his own, was rector.

Aston through time

Aston is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aston, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11231

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aston ".