Place:


Rodmarton  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rodmarton like this:

RODMARTON, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile N W of the Fosse way at the boundary with Wilts, 3 W of Tetbury-Road r. station, and 4¾ N E of Tetbury; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement, probably anadvanced post from Cirencester. ...


A tesselated pavement and Roman coins were found at it in 1636. The parishincludes the tything of Calkerton, and comprises 4,012acres. Post-town, Cirencester. Real property, £4,022. Pop., 401. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Miss Gordon. The manor-house, a quadrangular edifice of the 15th century, is now a farm-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £650.* Patron, the Rev. S. Lysons. The church is early English, was restored in 1862, and has a tower and spire. There are a national school, and charities £19. An old chapel in the hamlet of Tarlton, 1½ mile E, is at the manor-house there, and has been partially restored. S. and D. Lysons, authors of " Magna Britannia, " were natives.

Rodmarton through time

Rodmarton is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rodmarton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rodmarton, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11145

Date accessed: 21st September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rodmarton ".