Place:


Rodborough  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rodborough like this:

RODBOROUGH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands near Stroud river, 1 mile S S W of Stroud r. station; and is a seat of petty-sessions. The parish comprises 1, 310 acres. Post-town, Stroud, under Gloucester. Real property, £12,063. Pop., 2, 165. ...


Houses, 492. The property is much divided. The manor belongs to Earl Russell. There are several good residences, and some woollen-cloth mills and dye-works. R. Hill commandsan extensive and very fine view, and has remains of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300.* Patron, P.jose, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was re-built in 1842, and is in a florid later English style. Amorning lectureship belongs to the church, and is in thegift of Brasenose college, Oxford. Portions of the parishare included in the chapelries of Brimscombe and Am-berley. There are an Independent ehapel, two endowed schools with £85 a year, and a British school. Clutter-buck, a blind mechanical genius, born in 1638, was anative.—The sub-district contains also two other parishes. Acres, 4, 192. Pop., 5, 819. Houses, 1, 169.

Rodborough through time

Rodborough is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rodborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rodborough, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11144

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rodborough ".