Place:


Mountain Ash  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mountain Ash like this:

MOUNTAIN-ASH, a colliers' village in the NE of Glamorgan; on the Aberdare branch of the Taff Vale railway, 4 miles SE of Aberdare. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, a post office‡ under Aberdare, and a church in the decorated English style, of nave, S aisle, and apsidal chancel, built in 1863. ...


A colliery here was opened, about 1838, on a mineral property of about 4,500 acres; has been sunk to the depth of 370 yards; includes a main seam of coals 4 feet thick; yields an output of more than 1,000 tons a day; and is worked through a shaft 18 feet in diameter inside the walling, and sectioned into four compartments,-two for drawing up the coal, one for sending up and down the workmen, and the fourth for drainage. The coal is smokeless; has been much in request for the working of steam-vessels; is used by many of the great mail-packet companies of England; and has been largely exported for the u se of the French government.

Mountain Ash through time

Mountain Ash is now part of Rhondda; Cynon; Taff district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rhondda; Cynon; Taff has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mountain Ash itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mountain Ash, in Rhondda; Cynon; Taff and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1110

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mountain Ash ".