Place:


Addingham  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Addingham like this:

ADDINGHAM, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township adjoins the river Wharfe, 4 miles NNW of Kildwick and Crosshills r. station, and 6 ESE of Skipton; and has a post office‡ under Leeds. It formerly carried on much industry in cotton, worsted, and woollen factories; but began to suffer great reverses about 1835. ...


Fairs are held on 22 March, 16 April, and 3 Oct. Acres, 4,293. Pop. in 1831, 2,179; in 1861, 1,859. Houses, 420. The parish includes also part of the township of Beamsley. Acres, 5,472. Real property, £7,478. Pop., 1,938. Houses, 440. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £360* Patron, Mrs. M. Cunliffe. The church is Norman, was restored in 1858, and stands in a beautiful situation. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £13.-The subdistrict comprises all Addingham parish, and parts of two other parishes. Acres, 22,890. Pop., 3,157. Houses, 685.

Addingham through time

Addingham is now part of Bradford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bradford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Addingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Addingham, in Bradford and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11088

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Addingham ".