Place:


Pauntley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pauntley like this:

PAUNTLEY, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; on the river Leadon at the boundary with Worcester, 3 miles N E by N of Newent, and 7 S S E of Ledbury r.station. Post-town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acres, 1, 967. Real property, £3, 343. Pop., 233. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. ...


Whitehouse is the seat of L. Stokes, Esq. Pauntley-Court is a farm-house. There are saline springs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is Norman; and consists of nave and chancelwith tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Pauntley through time

Pauntley is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pauntley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pauntley, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11071

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pauntley ".