Place:


Oxenhall  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oxenhall like this:

OXENHALL, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; on the Hereford and Gloucester canal, 1¾ mile N W of Newent, 2¼ E of the boundary with Herefordshire, and 5¼ N by E of Mitcheldean-Road r.station. It was anciently called Horsenehal. Post-town, Newent, under Gloucester. Acres, 1,887. ...


Real property, £2, 871. Pop., 272. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with the Furnace and much of the land, belongs to R. F. Onslow, Esq. A vein of excellent ironstone was recently discovered, and begun to be worked. A tunnel of thecanal is here, 6, 576 feet long. A Roman settlement wasat Cold Harbour. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £80.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch, and with W tower and spire; contains an old leaden font; and was reported in 1859 as bad.

Oxenhall through time

Oxenhall is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oxenhall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oxenhall, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11061

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oxenhall ".