Place:


Oddington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oddington like this:

ODDINGTON, two villages and a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester. The villages stand ¾ of a mile S W of the river Evenlode, near the boundary with Oxford, 1½ mile S W of Addlestrop r. station, and 2½ E of Stow-on-the-Wold; bear the names of Upper and Lower O.; and have a post-office under Chipping-Norton. ...


The parish comprises 1, 660 acres. Real property, £3, 468. Pop., 588. Houses, 141. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Oddington House, belongs to Sir JohnReade, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £344.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester. The old church stands about ½ a mile from the villages, in a finely wooded vale; is partly Norman, with interesting features; and has ceased to be used. The new church stands near the centre of the villages; was built in 1854; is in the pointed style; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel; and has several handsome painted windows. There are a national school, and charities £4. Chamber-layne, the author of " Angliæ Notitia, " was a native.

Oddington through time

Oddington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oddington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11043

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oddington ".