Place:


Whiston  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whiston like this:

WHISTON, a township in Prescot parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Manchester railway, 1 mile S of Prescot. It has a post-office under Prescot; and it contains Prescot workhouse. Acres, 1,793. Real property, £10,867; of which £4,381 are in mines, and £135 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,825; in 1861, 1,727,-of whom 155 were in the workhouse. Houses, 318. A church was built here in 1865, at a cost of about £6,000; and is in the early English style, with tower and spire, 150 feet high. There are also a Methodist chapel and a national school.

Whiston through time

Whiston is now part of Knowsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Knowsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whiston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whiston, in Knowsley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11031

Date accessed: 15th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whiston ".