Place:


North Nibley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Nibley like this:

NIBLEY (North), a village and a parish in Dursley district, Gloucester. The village stands under a knoll of the Cotswolds, 1¼ mile E of the Bristol and Gloucester railway, 2 N W of Wotton-under-Edge, and 2 S W of Dursley r. station; is supposed to have been the birth-place of Tyndale, the translator of the Bible; and has a post-office under Dursley. ...


A monument to Tyndalewas erected in 1866, on Nibley Knoll, overhanging the village. The parish comprises 3, 245 acres. Real property, £6, 324. Pop. in 1851, 1, 133; in 1861, 1,020. Houses, 246. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Fitzhardinge. The right to themanor was fought between the Berkeleys and the Lisles, in 1470, on Nibley-Green. There is a woollen cloth factory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £160. Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is mainly later English; but the chancel was recently rebuilt, and is in the early English style. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £91 a year, and charities about £33.

North Nibley through time

North Nibley is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Nibley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Nibley, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11024

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Nibley ".