Place:


Moreton Valence  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moreton Valence like this:

MORETON-VALENCE, a parish, with a scattered Village, in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; on the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, 2½ miles WSW of Haresfield r. station, and 3½ NNW of Stonehouse. Posttown, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. Acres, 1,432; of which 33 are water. Real property, £3,972; of which £250 are in the canal, and £520 in railways. ...


Pop., 337. Houses, 75. The property is much subdivided. Standish House belongs to Lord Sherborne, and is occupied by R. Potter, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £85. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is chiefly later English; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and was recently repaired. A section of the parish, which contained a pop. of 180 in 1861, is within Framilode chapelry.

Moreton Valence through time

Moreton Valence is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moreton Valence itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moreton Valence, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11003

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moreton Valence ".