Place:


Longney  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longney like this:

LONGNEY, a village and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Severn, 1 mile W of the Gloucester and Berkeley ship canal, 3½ WNW of Haresfield r. station, and 6 S W by S of Gloucester; and has a postal pillar-box under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1,070 acres. ...


Real property, £3,814; of which £16 are in fisheries. Pop., 486. Houses, 113. The property is much subdivided. The manor and much of the land belong to the Trustees of Smith's charity. Orchards here are famous for the dongney russet apple. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £110. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, in good condition; comprises nave and two chancels, with a tower; and has an ancient font. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £30.

Longney through time

Longney is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longney, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10987

Date accessed: 17th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longney ".