Place:


Ilston on the Hill  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ilston on the Hill like this:

ILSTON-ON-THE-HILL, a township chapelry in Carlton-Curliew parish, Leicester; 3 miles SW by S of Billesdon, and 5 N NE of Kibworth r. station. Posttown, Billesdon, under Leicester. Acres, 1, 300. Real property, £2, 432. Pop., 235. Houses, 50. The manor belonged to Crick abbey, in Norfolk; passed, in 1509, to the Crown; and belongs now to John King, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of CarltonCurliew, in the diocese of Peterborough. The church consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a national school, and charities £14.

Ilston on the Hill through time

Ilston on the Hill is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ilston on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ilston on the Hill, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10960

Date accessed: 18th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ilston on the Hill ".