Place:


Merthyr  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merthyr like this:

MERTHYR, a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen; on the river Cowin, near the South Wales railway, 4 miles W of Carmarthen. Post town, Carmad.then. Acres, 2,218. Real property, £2,055. Polp., 287. Houses, 41. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £158.* Patron, not reported.

Merthyr through time

Merthyr is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merthyr itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merthyr in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10959

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merthyr ".