Place:


Leigh  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leigh like this:

LEIGH, a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester; on the river Severn and the Comb canal, 4½ miles SSW of Tewkesbury r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Cheltenham. It contains the hamlet of Evington; and its posttown is Cheltenham. Acres, 1,720. Rated property, £3,201. Pop., 428. ...


Houses, 91. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the dean and chapter of Westminster. Leigh Villa is the seat of W. Hill, Esq., and commands a fine view. Much of the land is subject to frequent inundations. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £250.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, small cross aisle, and chancel, with an embattled tower; and is good. There are a national school, and charities about £40.

Leigh through time

Leigh is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Leigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leigh, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10945

Date accessed: 23rd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Leigh ".