Place:


Kempley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kempley like this:

KEMPLEY, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; adjacent to Hereford, 5 miles NW of Newent, and 6 SW by S of Ledbury r. station. Post town, Dymock, under Gloucester. Acres, 1, 564. Real property, £2, 247. Pop., . 311. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to Earl Beanchamp. ...


Stone-House, formerly the manor house, is large, and of the 16th century; contains some very fine oak carving; and is now used as a farm house. Cider and perry are largely made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £204. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is ancient, with good points, but needs to be restored; contains a Norman arch, between the nave and the chancel; and has a tower much out of the perpendicular, and formerly surmounted by a spire. A national school was about to be built in 1866. Charities, £14.

Kempley through time

Kempley is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kempley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kempley, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10931

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kempley ".