Place:


Huntley  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Huntley like this:

HUNTLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester. The village stands near the boundary with Hereford, 2 miles NE of Mitcheldean-Road r. station, and 4 S of Newent; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish comprises 1, 409 acres. Real property, £2, 520. ...


Pop., 533. Houses, 115. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. * Patron, the Rev. D. Capper. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1863; is in the decorated English style; comprises nave, chancel, N aisle, organ recess, and vestry; has had a spire added to the tower, and a brooch spire to the stair turret; is richly fitted, in the interior. with sculptures, medallions, coloured marbles, and alabaster; and has a pulpit of marble and alabaster, and a font of marble and carved stone. There are a national school, and charities £28.—The sub-district contains also five other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 19, 223. Pop., 5, 715. Houses, 1, 161.

Huntley through time

Huntley is now part of Forest of Dean district. Click here for graphs and data of how Forest of Dean has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huntley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huntley, in Forest of Dean and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10901

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huntley ".