Place:


Hugglescote  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hugglescote like this:

HUGGLESCOTE, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Ibstock parish, Leicester. The village stands 1 mile W of Bardon r. station, and 6 SE of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; and has a post office under Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The township includes the hamlet of Donington, and bears the name of Hugglescote and Donington. ...


Acres, 2, 589. Real property, £.5, 104; of which £190 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1, 014; in 1861, 1, 227. Houses, 265. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Hastings. The chapelry is annexed to the rectory of Ibstock in the diocese of Peterborough. The church is old and has a tower. There are a Baptist chapel and a national school.

Hugglescote through time

Hugglescote is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hugglescote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hugglescote in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10876

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hugglescote ".