Place:


Houghton on the Hill  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Houghton on the Hill like this:

HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Billesdon district, Leicestershire. The village stands 2¾ miles WNW of Billesdon, and 6 E by S of Leicester r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Houghton, under Leicester. The parish comprises 2,450 acres Real property, £3,672. ...


Pop., 449. Houses, 100. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to H. L. Keek, Esq. There is a mineral spring. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £262.* Patron, W. Freer, Esq. The church is old; was recently restored; and has a spire, open seats, and an old font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Houghton on the Hill through time

Houghton on the Hill is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Houghton on the Hill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Houghton on the Hill, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10874

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Houghton on the Hill ".